The following pet and wildlife information is useful for anyone who lives in or near White Bear Lake or who visits Lake Animal Hospital. Questions? Contact us today!

Lost and Found Pets

The Animal Control location is dependent on which municipality the pet is found.

For tips on finding your lost pet visit:

Ramsey County Lost and Found Pets

Washington County Lost and Found Pets

FAQs About Lost and Found Pets

1You found a loose pet?
Carefully approach the pet and check the pet for a collar and tags. Look for an owner’s phone number or veterinary clinic on the rabies tag. Try to contain the pet. Keep your pets away from the found pet. Never chase someone else’s pet, they are probably very frightened. Check with your neighbors in case someone recognizes the pet. Bring the pet to your veterinary clinic to be scanned for a microchip. If you cannot identify the owner, contact animal control.
2Can’t I just keep a lost pet?
Unfortunately, no. Pets are considered personal property. Pet must be reported and taken to an impound location. Pets must wait out a stray holding period to allow the owner a chance to find and claim their pet. The stray hold is 5 days in the state of Minnesota. After the stray hold, many pets are transferred to foster homes through rescue groups.
3Will I need to pay to get my impounded pet back?
Owners reclaiming their pet from animal control or impound should expect to pay a reclaim fee and may be additionally invoiced by the city to recuperate animal control expenses.
4Does Animal Control pick up cats?
Animal Control will pick up domestic pet cats. Cats, like dogs, must be leashed if not on the owner’s private property. Domestic cats that are picked up by Animal Control are transported to local impounding facilities. Feral cats are wild and not accustomed to people. They are typically too fearful and too wild to be handled. The Sheriff’s Office Animal Control services do not include the trapping feral cats.
5Just bitten by a neighbor’s pet.
Seek medical attention first, if needed. Then, contact the Animal Control Officer by calling 911. A Deputy or an Animal Control Officer will respond to take a report. As part of the report Veterinary Records are collected. The situation may require the animal to be quarantined for 10 days. At the end of the ten days, Animal Control will check to see if the pet is healthy and then follow-up with the bite victim. Depending on the severity of the bite.

Wildlife Care

Contact the following links for information on caring for wildlife:

  • Wildlife: Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota (651)486-9453 or visit
  • Birds of Prey: The University of Minnesota Raptor Center (612)624-4745 or visit

FAQs About Wildlife Care

1Injured wild animal in my yard. Will Animal Control pick it up?
Contact Animal Control. A deputy or Animal Control Officer will respond to address the problem. Injured small wildlife including rabbits and turtles determined to have a chance of survival are brought to the Minnesota wildlife Rehab Center in Roseville. Severely injured deer and other wildlife will be euthanized.
2Injured bird of prey in my yard. Will Animal Control pick it up?
Animal Control is unable to assist with injured birds. Please contact the University of Minnesota raptor Center if you find a bird of prey such as an owl, hawk, or eagle.

Pet Adoption and Rescue

The following links are useful for pet adoption and rescue:

Dog License

All dogs are required to be licensed in the Township and city. Proof of current rabies vaccination is required to obtain a license.

Dog Parks

The following dog parks are located near Lake Animal Hospital:

  • White Bear Dog Beach – Matoska Park
  • White Bear Township - Bald Eagle/Otter Lakes Regional Park
  • Shoreview – Rice Creek Regional Trail Corridor
  • Arden Hills – Dog Park at Perry Park
  • Maplewood - Battle Creek Regional Park
  • Stillwater - Stillwater Dog Park
  • Franconia – Franconia Sculpture Garden

Use the following links to find more dog parks near you: