Treating Your Pet’s Skin and Ear Conditions
The condition of our pets’ coat and skin is an important indicator of their overall health and quality of life. Skin and ear diseases can cause significant discomfort, such as itch and pain. Lake Animal Hospital veterinarians have years of experience diagnosing and treating skin and ear conditions, including infections, allergies, autoimmune conditions, and skin cancer.
Common Symptoms of Pet Skin and Ear Conditions
- Frequent itching and rubbing
- Excessive licking or chewing
- Head shaking and ear scratching
- Skin that is crusted, scaly, or flaking
- Irritated, inflamed, or discolored areas of skin or ears
- Ear canals that have discharge and odor
- Hair coat that is thinning, dull, or greasy
- Suspicious growths, lumps, or bumps
Diagnostic Tests for Pet Skin and Ear Conditions Available at Lake Animal Hospital
- Skin and ear cytology: Assess for infections and cancer by examining a sample under a microscope.
- Skin scraping: Examine skin and fur samples microscopically for mites and lice.
- Culture: Have samples sent to a lab to determine if a bacterial or fungal infection is present.
- Skin biopsy: Have skin tissue sent to a pathologist to diagnose a disease.
- Blood work: Test for Thyroid abnormalities and IGg allergy panels.
- Food trials: Elimination diets of prescription foods can help diagnose food allergies.
Pet Skin and Ear Treatments Available at Lake Animal Hospital
We can help develop treatment plans for a wide variety of dermatologic conditions, from addressing minor itches to serious forms of skin cancer.
- Allergy treatments available include topicals applied as needed, daily oral medications, and long-acting injectable therapies.
- Nutritional therapies including prescription hydrolyzed diets, limited ingredient diets, and premium fish oil supplements.
- Treatment options for common ear conditions, including cleaners, daily ointments, and long-acting therapies instilled into the ear canal.
- Surgical options are available for skin cancer growth.