Senior animal companions hold a special place in our hearts. With all the advancements in veterinary medicine, pets are living longer. As your companion approaches 10 years of age, they often require a bit more attention to their health care needs.
During the senior wellness exam, our veterinarians will collaborate with you to develop a plan to detect age-related changes, manage chronic conditions, and ensure continued well-being.
Regular exams are important because your pet has a better prognosis if illness and diseases are detected early. Pets age much faster than people, so health problems can progress much more rapidly.
In addition, dogs and cats may not show any signs of diseases until the condition is quite advanced. Many medical conditions and diseases can be treated or managed, enhancing longevity and quality of life.
To optimize your senior pet’s well-being, we recommend a number of preventive steps to ensure early detection and treatment of emerging diseases.
Senior Pet Preventative Care Includes
- Annual senior wellness exams
- Attention to dental care to keep the mouth comfortable and healthy
- Behavioral assessment to evaluate for age related neurologic changes
- Blood work to check for diabetes, liver, kidney, and thyroid diseases
- Nutrition, weight, and body condition evaluation
- Orthopedic and mobility evaluation to identify joint ailments
- Pain assessment and long-term management plans